Although Gmail has been around in existence since 2004, Gmail Labs were only introduced in mid-2008. Gmail Labs are arguably exactly what makes Gmail extremely powerful as a mail client, akin to how internet browsers like Firefox and Chrome may be extended via extensions.
What follows is a selection of labs which you can use now to be more productive using Gmail and processing your e-mail.
1. Canned Responses. Canned Responses enable you to build a message that you could easily re-use when replying to e-mails. For example, if you are using How to share emails, and regularly send the identical response to a standard inquiry, then you definitely should absolutely utilize a canned response to save yourself time of re-typing that message whenever.
2. Custom Keyboard Shortcuts. Although Gmail incorporates keyboard shortcuts for common actions already built-in, it may be challenging to remember particularly if you use shortcuts in other programs. This lab permits you to modify those keyboard shortcuts in your own liking.
3. Default “Reply to all of”. Avoid an extra click by enabling this lab. It changes the “Reply” button inside the top-right in the message to “Reply to all”.
4. Message Sneak Peek. This lab enables you to see much more of a message without needing to open your message completely. This can be useful if you have lots of emails which you delete quickly. Either right-click, or hit the shortcut key (default is ‘h’).
5. Quick Links. This can be one of my favorite labs. While Gmail’s search could be very powerful and fairly fast, if you find that you perform the same searches repeatedly, this can be the best way to save them in something called a Quick Link. Once saved, later on, all you would need to do is click the 82devkpky link within the left sidebar, and Gmail would pullup that saved search.
6. Send & Archive. Send and Archive helps save a click and helps you process email faster by changing the Send button to both send and archive your message thread. You must already be using archiving to obtain your inbox right down to zero.
7. Superstars. If you use Gmail’s starring to focus on certain emails, you may want more than just just one gold star. Superstars offers you the option to select a number of different colors and icons including question and exclamation marks.
8. Undo Send. Undo Send is potentially a lifesaver that I’ve now used more times than I could count, despite becoming a rather careful e-mail sender. Essentially, it offers you a window of energy as soon as you hit Send during which you can ‘undo’ and retract your message before it’s actually sent. This is perfect for those occasions that you just entered the wrong recipients or experienced a contemplated the information of the e-mail the split second as soon as you hit the send button.
Gmail Labs has numerous more extensions that you may possibly find useful, but start out with these 8 and discover in the event you don’t lower your expenses time processing your e-mail daily.